Montag, 24. Juni 2013

Pasta with Courgettes

Hi guys!

It is monday and I haven't forgotten about you the past two weeks, I needed a tiny break to relax after finishing my exams before summer and keep my eyes open for a few new recipes to introduce you to in the following weeks. Today's recipe screams "summer" for me and I love the bright colour this brings to your plate. The recipe is from Nigella Lawson's "Nigellisima", a perfect cookbook for summer in my opinion with lots of italian inspired dishes. 

Here's the recipe:

200g (7 oz) short pasta (like penne, farfalle, casarecce)
2 tablespoons garlic oil 
4 scallions
500g (17.5 oz) courgettes
60ml (4 tablespoons) dry white wine or vermouth
1 bunch italian parsley
freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
10g (a small tablespoon) unsalted butter

1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Finely slice the scallions, cut the courgettes into small cubes (I quartered them first and cut the quarters in thick slices). Chop the parsley and grate the parmesan. 

2) Cook the pasta according to packet directions. Once everything is prepared, heat the oil (I substituted olive oil) in a medium saucepan. Cook the scallions for 1 minute. Add the cubed courgettes and cook for 5 minutes at medium heat. 

3) Add the vermouth or white wine and and bring to a boil. Add two tablespoons of chopped parsley and season to taste with a little salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover with a lid and cook the vegetables for 5 more minutes or until soft. 

4) Before draining the paste, reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta, put it back in the pot, add 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan and 4 tablespoons of pasta water along with the cooked vegetables, stirring nicely. Season to taste with pepper, more parmesan or pasta water. Add the butter and remaining parsley and serve. 

Serves: 2 according to the recipe, easily 3 if you're me
Active preparation time: about 10 minutes
Total preparation time: about 25-30 minutes from heating the pasta water to serving
© Copyright: Nigella Lawson, "Genießen auf Italienisch", p. 19.

Here's how it looks:



I love the bright colour of the courgettes that almost highlight the yellow of the pasta along with the bright, fresh green from the parsley. This recipe was included in the accompanying TV series "Nigellissima" on BBC. So if you want to have a look at the recipe to help your decision process, you can either find a clip on BBC or watch the whole episode (the recipe is at 23:30min) on youtube following this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huHwNTnO4Fs

This dish combines the sweet, yet earthy taste from the courgettes with a slight saltiness from the parmesan, a little fire from pepper and scallions and a hint of the flavour from your wine. I felt like I would have summer on my plate - although the sun to go with this dish doesn't want to help me out today... 

Anyway, have fun trying and enjoy!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen