Freitag, 16. Oktober 2015

Pumpkin Maple Pies

I'll get back to what I promised last saturday. My sister's second birthday cake. Or cakes rather. I've been itching to try my hand with this recipe for a long time, but it is a little work (pie dough, filling) and I simply couldn't find the time or just wanted to relax on the weekends. But my indecisiveness with regard to what my sister could or would want for her birthday cake made it impossible to decide on one cake, so I ended up baking two. 

I know I've been introducing you to a ton of Donna Hay recipes and this is no exception. I will try to get back to other recipes as well, but this was too appealing to let it wait in the drawer for another year. 

Here's the link to the recipe: https://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/recipe-entertaining/pumpkin-and-maple-pies-with-walnut-sugar

Here's how I worked:

1kg butternut pumpkin
250ml (1 cup) maple syrup
4 eggs
250ml (1 cup) single cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
450g (3 cups) all-purpose flour
250g (2 sticks) unsalted butter
160g (1 cup) icing sugar
6 egg yolks, whites reserved
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons iced water
55g (1/2 cup) walnuts
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1) Start by deseeding and peeling the pumpkin. I find this works easiest by cutting the pumpkin quarters in thin slices and using a peeler to remove the skin. Cut the pumpkin into one-inch (2.5cm) cubes.

2) Transfer the pumpkin pieces to a saucepan large enough to fit all pieces, cover with water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat until the pumpkin is soft. Drain and set aside.

3) Place the flour, butter and icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer or food processor. Process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. While the motor is running, add the egg yolks and vanilla. Add the water, if the dough is too dry, until the dough just comes together. 

4) Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring together. At this point, you can either flatten the dough into a disk or roll it, line the pie tins with it and freeze after. I followed the second. Roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Cut rounds from the pastry (I have smaller pie tins, so I used 12cm rounds) and line your pie tins, after you've lightly greased them. 

5) Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to two hours. 

6) Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F). If you have baking weights, linke the pastry cases with non-stick baking paper, fill with the weights and blind bake for 10 minutes or until light golden. If not, don't worry. The pastry will puff a little more while baking, but don't bother buying weights. 

7) While the pastry cases are baking, prepare the pumpkin filling. Purée the pumpkin along with the cream, maple syrup, eggs and nutmeg until smooth. 

8) Brush the inside of the pastry shells with egg white. Place the pie tins on a baking tray, fill with the pumpkin mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until just set.

9) While the pies are baking, make the walnut sugar. Place the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. 

10) Top the pies with the walnut sugar to serve

Yield: 8 according to Donna; I ended up with 15.
Active preparation time: about 45 minutes 
Total preparation time: 2 hours

Here's how mine look(ed):




I really love the fall colors of this beautiful dessert or pastry. 
The recipe is easy enough to follow, although I always tweak recipes for pastry dough, because I find it extremely hard to work with if you're cooling it first. Once you take it out of the fridge, you have to wait again for it to soften, but not let it get too soft or it'll crumble and you can't work with it. I find the dough turns out just as good if you're rolling and placing it in the baking tin before cooling. 

These pumpkin pies combine the distinct taste of pumpkin with the soft sweetness from the maple syrup. I love that these don't turn out overly sweet. They are sweet, but not with a sticky sweetness. The walnut sugar also adds a nice, slightly crunchy touch. 

These will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. 

Have fun trying and have a lovely weekend!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen