Donnerstag, 4. April 2013

Apple Slice

Hi guys!

I am so sorry to have left you on your own for this long! University has been busy and as the whole family went on a short skiing holiday, I had no chance to cook or bake in a while. But as this week past easter I am still on easter holidays, I have the possibility to bake and cook a lot and am trying to make up for last week's missed opportunities. Spring has decided to let us wait longer here in Switzerland so I figured it would be nice to try and at least bring spring on my plate. As you all know, Donna Hay has been a huge favourite of mine for a long time now and as I was searching her website for ideas lately, I came across a recipe for this apple slice with a crumb topping. I looove crumb toppings, I could solely eat those and leave the rest of the cake, but in combination with the apple and the lovely dough, it is just too tempting  to not eat everything. Here's the link to the recipe: https://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/desserts-and-baking/apple-slice 

As always with Donna, a few simple steps and you're in cake heaven. 

1) Preheat the oven. Peel and cut the apples, and place them in a saucepan along with butter and cinnamon to make the apple filling. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until the apples are softened.

2) For the dough, place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until creamy. This takes at least 5 minutes on medium to high speed. Add the egg and beat. Fold in the flour, baking powder and milk. 

3) For the crumbs, mix the flour, baking powder, butter and sugar in a bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs. I normally let the mixture form a paste and crumble it on top of the cake with my fingers. 

4) Line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking paper (I normally use a metal casserole dish). Fill with the dough (spreading it carefully to try and create an even layer), top with the apple filling and crumbs. Bake for 40 minutes until golden. 

Yield: about 12-16 slices depending on size
Active preparation time: about 30 minutes
Total preparation time: 70 minutes

Here's how mine turned out:

I love how the crumb, filling and dough together create this lovely cake while having all different textures combined in one. And I am in love with apple and cinnamon - an unbeatable combination in my opinion. 

Have fun trying and I hope spring is giving you the full treatment it is denying us at the moment! 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen