Montag, 4. Januar 2016

Tomato and Red Pepper Soup

So Switzerland has started cooling down a little bit, work started again today and I am in desperate need for some clean, healthy, easy and warming food. And since it's Monday I'll go for a vegetarian and vegan dish. I started following Louise Parker's instagram a while ago for all of the lovely food pics she posts. I have also been addicted to her oatbran porridge for breakfast and love trying new combinations with regards to the fruit I'm adding or a tablespoon of cocoa powder. 

She writes a blog on her website that has a ton of beautiful, clean and for the biggest part sugarfree recipes in it. 
So since her porridge is so warming and delicious, I figured why not give this soup a try?

Here's the recipe:

12 vine-ripened tomatoes
12 small peppers (I used five large red peppers)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 garlic clove (I omitted garlic, as always)
olive oil, for brushing the veggies
water or vegetable stock to thin

1) Preheat your oven to 170°C (340°F). Wash the tomatoes and peppers. Place them on a large baking tray, drizzle with some olive oil, then rub each tomato and pepper with the oil you've drizzled over individually. 

2) Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, but be careful to take the veggies out before the skin form the pepper burns. 

3) As soon as the veggies are warm enough to handle, transfer them to a saucepan (if hand-blending) or blender. I used a handheld blender and blend until smooth. Check the consistency. If you like your soup thinner, add water or vegetable stock until you've reached the desired consistency. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, dried chili flakes or tabasco.

Yield: a little over 2 liters, about 7 servings
Active preparation time: 15 minutes
Total preparation time: 35-45 minutes

Here's how it looks:

The first thing I love is the bright color, a mixture of orange and red that instantly light up my day. The flavor is nothing short - bright, vibrant, with a nice tang from the chili, sweetness from the tomatoes and a distinct note from the peppers which the roasting beautifully intensifies. And I love how easy this is!! It's nothing but one, two, three and you've got a healthy dinner. As I have a hand-held blender, I transferred everything to a saucepan to blend. 

Have fun trying and a happy, healthy new year to all of you!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen