Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2012

Vanillekipferl

Hi guys!

Christmas is around the corner and I have managed to bake all the different kinds of cookies I wanted to and wrap my presents, so I can start to fully enjoy the holiday season. My very first memories of Christmas cookies and biscuits come from my grandmother and mother. Especially my grandmother always loved to bake cookies and today I rely on her recipes. I love that they always work, no matter at what time of day I try baking them. Vanillekipferl are a real classic Christmas cookie in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, but I hear they are loved in the U.S. as well. So here is my grandmother's recipe:

200g (7 oz) unsalted butter, softened
80g (1/3 cup; 2.8 oz) granulated sugar
100g (1 cup; 3.5 oz) ground almonds
280g (a little less than 2 cups; 9.9 oz) all-purpose flour
125g (4.4 oz; a little less than 1 cup) icing sugar
1 paket (about 8g or 1 teaspoon) vanilla sugar

1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F). Beat the butter and the granulated sugar for 8-10 minutes until light and fluffy.

2) Mix with the flour and ground almonds and a dough comes together. It shouldn't be too crumbly. 

3) Take about 1 dessertspoon (or 2 teaspoons) of dough and form it to the shape of little croissants. 

4) Bake for about 20 minutes until very light golden brown. Let them cool for about 5 minutes.

5) In a second bowl, mix the icing sugar and vanilla sugar. Carefully roll the cookies in the mixture and let cool completely on a cooling rack.

Yield: ca. 50
Active preparation time: about 30 minutes
Total preparation time: about 50 or 70 minutes, depending on how many trays you have to bake.

Here's how they look:

Have fun trying!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen