Montag, 4. Juni 2012

Pasta with Mint Pesto

Hi guys!


It's Meat Free Monday again! I am going to try and introduce you to vegetarian as well as vegan recipes in order to show you how tasty meat-free dishes can be. I am a big pasta lover, so I'm always trying to find new recipes for pasta sauces or interesting vegetable combinations to pair my pasta with. 


I've come across this recipe in Donna Hay's book "Fast, Fresh, Simple". I have been trying to find it online, but it is not available on Donna's website or via Lifestyle Channel that airs the accompanying show. So here is the recipe:


90g (3 oz) mint leaves 
45 g (1 1/2oz) flat parsley leaves
25g (1 oz) parmesan
40g (1 1/2 oz) peeled almonds
1 garlic clove
80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
(1 pinch salt)
(1/2 teaspoon honey)


Combine the leaves, parmesan, almonds and garlic in a blender. Blend until pretty smooth. Add the olive oil slowly while blending. Season with ground pepper. Serve with spaghetti. I slightly altered the recipe by adding a little bit of salt and some honey to create a little more depth of flavor as well as using less olive oil. The original recipe calls for 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil, but I find the olive oil too dominant should you use that much. I added 3 tablespoons of pasta water to thin the pesto before combining it with my cooked pasta.
© inspired by: Donna Hay "Fast, Fresh Simple", Pasta with Mint Pesto


Here's how mine turned out:

I love the freshness the mint is adding to this new spin on classic pesto. It's a great way to live up your everyday dishes with an unexpected taste. The recipe says it serves 2, but I find that the pesto should be enough for at least 4 people. Simply load an empty jam glass with the leftover pesto and store in the fridge. It should keep well for up to one week.

Have fun trying and tell me about your favorite summer dishes!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen