Montag, 20. August 2012

Basic Tomato Sauce

Hi guys!

Meat free monday again and we are having incredibly hot weather, so I wanted my lunch to be as summery and quick as possible. I find that nothing beats a basic tomato sauce on days like this. I usually prepare a big pot and freeze the sauce portionwise, but it will last in your fridge for a week. My recipe is not from a specific book, it's more a mix of different recipes and it changes from time to time. 

Here's the recipe:

1 800g (13.5 oz) can peeled tomatoes
1 onion
1 pinch sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
dried basil
dried oregano

1) Cut the onion in fine dice. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onion has softened.

2) Add the tomatoes and their juice. Crush the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Add the herbs and the sugar. I normally don't measure my herbs, but start with 1/2 teaspoon basil and oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Let the sauce bubble away for about 40 minutes.

3) In the end, season the sauce with salt. I add salt ealier, because in the time the sauce reduces, the flavours are getting more intense. 

Serves: 4 + leftovers
Active preparation time: 5 minutes
Total preparation time: about 50 minutes

Here's how I eat it:


If you are not on a vegan diet, you can sprinkle parmesan on top. I love how little active work it takes. I don't know how you're feeling, but on hot days, I try to reduce my time next to the stove to a minimum. 

Have fun trying!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen