Montag, 13. August 2012

Carrot-Orange-Ginger-Soup

Hi guys!

It's monday so time for a meat free recipe. I am a big soup lover. I think there's nothing as versatile and rich in possible combinations as vegetable soup. You can use whatever vegetable you like and add spices to give it a twist and brighten things up. Today's recipe is my own idea. I got the idea while scanning through cook books looking for an idea on changing things with my mum's classic carrot soup. There's nothing wrong with her version, but I wanted to make it more interesting by adding other ingredients that would complement the sweetness of the carrot. As I love ginger, I started adding ginger to the mix and when I saw a recipe for and orange-carrot soup I figured orange would bring a nice freshness.

Here's the recipe:

500g (16 oz; 1lb) carrots 
1 onion or 2 scallions
25g (3/4 oz) ginger
about 10g (1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, for greasing the saucepan
500ml (2 cups: 16 fl.oz; 1 pint) vegetable stock
100ml (3.25 fl.oz; a little less than 1/2 cup) orange juice

1) Peel the onion and roughly chop it or slice the scallions. Peel the carrots and cut them into  0.5cm slices (about 1/4 inch wide). Grate the ginger.

2) Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, ginger and onion and roast until the carrots start to caramelize. 

3) Add the warm vegetable stock and orange juice. Bring to the boil, turn the heat to medium and cook for about 15 minutes or until the carrot is cooked. 

4) Blend the soup with a handheld blender. If the soup is very thick, thin it with water until the consistency is to your liking. 

Serves: 3
Active preparation time: 10 minutes
Total preparation time: 25 minutes

Here's how it looks:

I love that the soup is done in no time. It offers a variety of flavors, the sweet from the carrot, spicy from the ginger and fruitiness as well as a little acidity from the orange which makes it very interesting. This soup is perfect to serve as a warming winter treat, but it is not heavy at all so it's suitable for summer as well. 

Have fun trying!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen