Samstag, 25. August 2012

Königskuchen (King's Cake)

Hi guys!

Today I want to share a recipe for one of my favorite cakes of all time. It's called Königskuchen in german which translates as King's cake. I came up with the idea of sharing it when I wanted to bake a loaf cake and wasn't finding any recipe I wanted to try in any of my go-to cookbooks. The cake is a pretty typical cake in Germany, but most importantly, it is easy to make and doesn't need hard-to-find ingredients. I don't know where my mother has the recipe from and she can't remember because she's had it for so long. 

Here's the recipe:
500g (3 1/3 cups; 16 oz) all-purpose flour
200g (a little under 1 cup; 6 3/4 oz) granulated sugar
250g (2 sticks; a little over 8 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 eggs
1 pouch (16g; 1/2 oz) baking powder
pinch of salt
250ml (1 cup; 8 fl.oz) milk
200g (6 3/4 oz) raisins
100g (3 oz) candied lemon peel
100g (3 oz) chopped almonds

1) Preheat the oven to 175°C (347°F). Beat the butter and sugar for 8-10 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the milk and mix until combined. 

2) Sift the baking powder and flour in the liquid mixture and add the salt. 

3) In the end, fold in the raisings, candied lemon peel and chopped almonds. Pour the batter in a greased loaf tin and bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Here's how it looks:

A few notes on the recipe:
Candied lemon peel is sold as "Citronat" in Germany or Switzerland and is little cubed pieces of candied lemon peel. You can chop the almonds however finely you want. I like mine rather finely chopped so the almonds combine with the dough and end up tasting like marzipan. 

I hope you are going to like it as much as I do.

Have fun trying!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen