Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2012

Classic Brownie, Pt. 1

Hi guys!


As I am in the middle of writing exams, I find it stress-relieving to bake - especially pastries I sense comforting or as I like to call it "soul food". Brownies are my ultimate go-to comforter. I have experimented with a few different recipes, but ultimately it comes down to two recipes I love and turn to over and over again. 


1) Donna Hay's recipe for "Classic Brownie" from her Donna Hay magazine, spring/ Oct-Nov 2011 issue
This issue features a whole section on Brownies starting with brownie cookies with peanut butter frosting and ending with choc-peppermint brownies. Heaven for any brownie-addict.


2) Jamie Oliver's recipe for "Bloomin' Brilliant Brownies" that I have found in his book "Cook with Jamie, but is also featured on his website. 


I am starting with Donna Hay's recipe in this blog and will make sure to share Jamie Oliver's recipe a little later.


The recipe:
400g dark chocolate, chopped
280g butter
2 cups (350g) brown sugar
6 eggs
1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour


1) Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).


2) Place half the chocolate (200g) and the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly. >Make sure to stir the whole time as chocolate burns easily and tastes awful once it burned. 


3) Place the sugar, eggs and flour in a bowl with the chocolate mixture and mix to combine. 


4) Stir through the remaining chocolate pieces and pour the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper. 


5) Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in tin, dust with cocoa powder and cut into squares. 






Serves: 8 >I personally think they easily serve 12, because they're very rich
© Copyright: Donna Hay magazine, Spring Issue, Oct-Nov 2011, p. 


Here is how mine turned out:





I cut them into 16 squares and each square was about 90g (3 oz). I can't eat more than a square a time although I've seen my best friend eating 2 big squares in like 10 minutes. So I guess it depends on how much you're eating. 


I love the simplicity of the recipe. It takes about 15 minutes of active preparation time to chop the chocolate, melt butter and chocolate, whisk in the dry ingredients and pour the dough in the tin and leave the rest of the work to your oven. I left the chocolate all by itself, but feel free to add anything you like to your brownies.


Happy cooking! Keep ideas and comments coming! 





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen