Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012

Spinach, Tomato and Feta Pasta

Hi guys!


As yesterday was Meat Free Monday, I've decided to go with a vegetarian dish as well. I'm not a vegetarian, but I like eating vegetarian dishes every now and then. And most of all I like the idea that by banning meat from my plate a day a week at least, I am helping our environment. How so? The livestock industry produces methane and nitrous oxide that damage the earth's atmosphere and play a big role in climate change. By eating less meat, you are taking part in reducing the livestock industry and thereby reducing the emission of those gases. 


I have been looking up a few recipes and finally decided on another Donna Hay dish. It is spinach, tomato and feta pasta. The recipe is vegetarian, not vegan, but as I use original feta that's made from sheep's milk, I am not using any cow produce. 


Here is the link: http://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/mains/pasta-rice/spinach-tomato-and-feta-pasta


The picture's not perfect, as I forgot to take a picture yesterday and warmed the rest for lunch today


Again, a few simple steps and you're awarded with a healthy, tasteful and comforting dish.


1) Heat the water to a boil and cook the pasta as indicated on the packet. 


2) While the pasta is cooking, chop up the tomatoes and warm the spinach. I've decided to warm the tomatoes as well and add the feta right at the end, too.


3) Add the pasta to the spinach-tomato-mix, add the vinegar and fold in the mint leaves. I've roughly chopped mine. 


It only took about five minutes to chop up the tomatoes and afterwards warm the vegetable mixture. You should be able to have your ingredients ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta. Make sure to use original feta that is made from sheep's milk instead of the cow's milk variety. Cow's milk feta costs less, but it also has a different taste, so you're sacrificing flavor in the end.


As always, the recipe says it serves four, but I personally think it's enough for six people, if you don't have three boys sitting at your table. I split the recipe in half, but it's well enough for three people.


What I like about the recipe is that it is a light dish you could also serve for dinner. It uses only a handful of ingredients, but the combination makes it really exciting and refreshing in taste. 


Have fun trying! You're welcome to leave your comments...  

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen