Sonntag, 22. Juli 2012

Apple Waffles

Hi guys!

Weekend is here and so is my appetite for anything comforting and sweet. As you all know, I have quite the sweet tooth, but I like to add fruit to my baked goods not because I want to trick myself into thinking the result is healthier - though I could understand you doing this. I simply like the taste of fruit when it's been baked and I can digest it better than when it's left raw. This recipe for apple waffles is a classic at our house. My mum has been baking waffles for as long as I can remember and she has quite the recipe collection for different waffles. My sister will ask for the following almost every weekend. Not that I would mind... These waffles are super comforting and sweet with a little added twist from the apples. 

Here's the recipe:
250g (1 + 2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
125g (1 stick) unsalted butter
75g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
125ml (1/2 cup) lukewarm milk
300g (10 oz) apples
50g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
grated zest of 1/2 lemon

1) Chop the apples up in little cubes, about 0.5cm (1/5 inch) wide. Beat the butter in an electric mixer or kitchen machine until pale and foamy. Add the lemon zest and eggs. 

2) Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar and mix it with the butter. Add the milk and stir to combine.

3) Fold through the apple cubes and almond. Pour about 1/2 cup of the dough in a waffle iron and bake. Repeat until used up.

Serve with jam, maple syrup, honey, icing sugar, cinnamon and regular sugar. 

Yield: about 12
Active preparation time: 15 minutes
Total preparation time: 25 minutes

Here's how mine looked:

These are perfect for an afternoon tea in autumn and winter or summer when the apples are nice and ripe. You could also make them for breakfast. The apple adds a fresh tough to the dough and makes the waffles nice and moist. Serve the waffles on their own with a little bit of whipped cream in the side or add whatever topping you like. 

Have fun trying and enjoy!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen